Consume these 9 foods and supplements to balance your cortisol levels and improve body composition. Cortisol is not that it is the enemy, it becomes problematic when you get out of control and you are going too. It is the stress hormone, when it is too high it will wear out the muscle mass and accumulate fat fat at the abdominal level. It can rise for multiple reasons, hormonal imbalances, overtraining, lack of sleep, spending too many hours without eating and eating a low calorie diet, a lot of stress in daily life, etc.
To improve metabolic and hormonal functioning you must control cortisol, certain substances and foods help to balance their levels, and there are other foods that should be avoided or diminished because they tend to raise this hormone.
- Cold water fish: salmon, white fish, sardines and anchovies. Cold water fish are known for their high concentration of omega-3, DHA and EPA fats, these are great for reducing cortisol. They also improve insulin sensitivity, so it is easier to lose fat, the body is more efficient using blood glucose for energy, release less insulin and improves protein synthesis and therefore it is easier to increase muscle.
- Ground Flaxseed and Walnuts: They are rich in the third type of omega-3, alpha-linolenic acid (ALA). In addition, both contain polyphenols, the combination of antioxidants and omega-3s allow better management of stress and improve hormonal functioning.
- Green Vegetables: High in antioxidants and low in glycemic load, this is vital when you want to lower cortisol levels. When you consume an excess of high glycemic load foods you raise blood glucose and insulin and therefore increase cortisol levels, it is vital to control the intake of starchy carbohydrates when you want to lower these hormone levels.
- Eggs: They are a perfect source of protein because they contain an alignment of amino acids that the body easily uses for repairing muscle tissues after intense training. They also contain a good dose of choline that the body uses to produce brain transmitters that improve motivation and focus, both useful for managing, coping and reducing stress. In addition, eggs are high in antioxidants that decrease inflammation in the body and improve insulin sensitivity, this helps to lose fat and decrease stress, by controlling the levels of insulin in the body you have a better metabolic and hormonal balance.
- Cocoa: Cocoa and even dark chocolate 70% helps to improve stress levels, increase mood and mental clarity, improves vascular health as it increases circulation and reduces inflammation, improves management, improves Hormonal functioning and balances insulin levels, elevates serotonin = calm and happiness, other benefits: lowers blood pressure and controls appetite. One tablespoon of bitter powdered cocoa contains only 12 calories.
- Citrus fruits, milky / papaya, paprika, broccoli, vitamin C supplement: Vitamin C has the power to lower levels of cortisol, citrus fruits, milky / papaya, broccoli and paprika are very high in this vitamin. Supplement with 1000 mg. Of vitamin C after training helps to significantly decrease cortisol, remember that after training very, very intense this hormone is elevated, it is vital to keep it under control because when it is very high it will wear out the muscle mass and accumulate abdominal fat.
- Pepita / pumpkin seeds and spinach: High in magnesium, this mineral helps a lot to reduce stress, at the same time improves blood glucose levels and hormone metabolism. Supplementing with ZMA at bedtime is also a good way to reduce cortisol levels, it is a supplement based on zinc, magnesium and vitamin B6. It is also great for improving sleep quality and muscle recovery.
- White beans / beans / beans: Contain a special nutrient that is super effective for reducing cortisol: Phosphatidylserine is great for lowering stress and is particularly useful for lowering cortisol and improving hormone balance after intense exercise. That the testosterone-cortisol radius is more favorable, if, when cortisol is very high testosterone levels fall.
- BCAA supplement: branched chain amino acids. Valine, leucine and isoleucine, these three amino acids make up branched chain amino acids; Essentials. 5 gr. After training a lot of help not only to muscle recovery but it helps lower cortisol levels and are an ally in fat loss.
What foods should you avoid or control?
- Trans fats and frying.
- Corn / soybean oil.
- Sugar and refined flour.
- Foods to which you are sensitive and into.